Monday, November 16, 2009

Can my employer drop my family from our primary health / dental insurance while i'm on workers comp.?

I have been on comp since october 04 and we just got dropped from our primary insurance through the company i worked for. I am still empolyed there although i am unable to work anymore. I live in PA.

Can my employer drop my family from our primary health / dental insurance while i'm on workers comp.?
I suggest that you post this question again in a different section.





Try Business %26amp; Finance %26gt; Insurance and you may get an informed answer.





I will hazard a guess, although I am a dentist and not a lawyer.





Although you are on Worker's Comp, I am not sure that this means you are still employed. You will have to check into this.





If you are still employed, there may still be a clause that states you can have COBRA coverage for up to a certain length of time. This length of time would depend on the conditions surrounding your end of employment and possibly your end of active employment.





If you were fired with good cause, for instance, (which you were NOT) COBRA would not be available to you at all.


If you were laid off for company reasons (workforce reduction, seasonal, etc.) you might be eligible for some length of coverage, such as 12-18 months.


If you were disabled, which is a circumstance that is beyond anyone's control, you might be eligible for up to 36 months.





I have never seen COBRA benefits allowed for more than 36 months.





I am suggesting that you have run out of COBRA benefits because you are no longer int he active workforce. This would be something to include as part of your question on the Insurance section of Yahoo! Answers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net